Wednesday 4 April 2018

15 Bookish Facts About Me!

For my first blog post I thought I'd write about me so you can get to know me a bit better! So, here's 15 bookish facts about me:

#1 I'm a serial monogamist
Some people can read multiple books at the same time. Not me. I can only read one book at a time. If I am reading one book then pick up another, I have to finish the second book before going back to the first - and chances are that I'll never go back to the first book.

#2 My favourite genre is fantasy.
Adult fantasy, YA fantasy, middle grade fantasy... I read it all. I love epic fantasy crammed with complicated characters and political intrigue and plot twists which make my toes curl with delight.

#3 I'm a book abandoner.
If a book doesn't capture my interest within a few chapters, I put it down and wander off. Basically, my attention span is like a toddler's when it comes to starting books. That being said, I do often go back to abandoned books and give them another go when I'm in a different mood.

#4 I'm really bad at finishing series but keep starting more.
Mistborn, Lightbringer, The Stormlight Archives, Spellslinger, Arc of a Scythe... these are just some of the series I'm in the middle of reading at the moment. For some, I'm waiting for the next in the series, for others I've just not got around to reading the next installment.

#5 I've not seen all of the Harry Potter films.
I love the books, and reread them constantly as a kid. However, I never really clicked with the first couple of films. They just didn't compare to the Hogwarts in my head and so I never bothered going to see the others.

#6 My favourite time to read is in the mornings.
Reading for a couple of hours after breakfast is my perfect morning. I curl up in my armchair by the window and lose myself in a book. However, I have to work (boo!) and so most of my reading happens in the evening.

#7 I can't read in bed as I usually fall asleep within five pages.
It doesn't matter how interesting or absorbing the book is. If I'm in bed, I'm going to feel sleepy. I can't even count the number of times I've woken up with the lamp on, my glasses smushed uncomfortably against my face and a crumpled book somewhere by my side.

#8 I prefer reading actual books.
I have a Kindle and I love it. As someone who's travelling around and living abroad, ebooks are so much more convenient. But I miss real books! And having a bookshelf of beautiful books!

#9 I have never listened to an audiobook.
I'm just not very good at listening. I tune out to 30 minute podcasts, so an audiobook would be a challenge.

#10 I have a reputation for destroying books. 
Think broken spines, turned down pages, coffee stains... I use whatever comes to hand to mark my page so receipts, bus tickets and scraps of paper litter the pages of my books like flotsam. 

#11 I always have to have a hot drink while reading.
Hot chocolate, tea, coffee... sometimes a biscuit or two. Reading is a marathon and you need to be well hydrated throughout.

#12 I never go anywhere, even to the shop, without my Kindle in my bag.
Because you never know what will happen. I read in queues, in coffee shops, while waiting for friends, on park benches... I like to be prepared against boredom!

#13 I secretly love thrillers based on historical conspiracies.
If a book has a name like The Venice Secret or The Shakespeare Code I am 100% going to read it, especially if there's a secret society involved.

#14 I either read two books a week, or nothing for three months. There is no in between.
I live alone, have no TV, and it gets dark here at 6pm, so I'm reading 9 or 10 books a month. When I visit family during the summer, the distractions of long summer nights, family fun times and television mean I'm lucky if I get one book read in the entire summer.

#15 I really struggle with reading the classics.
Every so often I come across lists of books that everybody should read. I consider myself a bookworm and so I feel inspired to read the books that people consider important. And every time I remember that I actually don't like reading a lot of classic literature...

No comments:

Post a Comment